Berger, Alan J. Law in Njáls saga.
- Author: Berger, Alan J.
- Title: Law in Njáls saga
- Published in: Samtíðarsögur: níunda Alþjóðlega fornsagnaþingið (the ninth International Saga Conference, preprints: Akureyri 31.7.-6.8.1994)
- Editors: Alþjóðlegt fornsagnaþing (Akureyri: September 1994)
- Place, Publisher: Reykjavík, s. n.
- Year: 1994
- Pages: 82-95
- Reference: Berger, Alan J. "Law in Njáls saga." Samtíðarsögur: níunda Alþjóðlega fornsagnaþingið (the ninth International Saga Conference, preprints: Akureyri 31.7.-6.8.1994), pp. 82-95. Ed. Alþjóðlegt fornsagnaþing (Akureyri: September 1994). Reykjavík: s. n., 1994.
- Key words:
This article examines the matter of law in Njáls saga. The main arguments that Berger makes are centered on which legal references the author of Njáls saga was using, based on the timing of the writing of the saga and the specific legal references that are made in it. Berger also references Hænsa-Þóris saga, namely to examine legal connections and to use them as a benchmark for the law in Njáls saga. Berger also examines the references to the law in Njáls saga as a literary device, determining that they are in most cases used to give an extra layer of meaning for those who would understand the legal repercussions of the cases presented in the saga.
- Written by: Gregory Gaines
- Icelandic/English translation: