Dronke, Ursula. Sem jarlar forðum
- Author: Dronke, Ursula
- Title: Sem jarlar forðum. The influence of Rígsþula on two saga-episodes
- Published in: Speculum Norroenum. Norse studies in memory of Gabriel Turville-Petre
- Editors: Ursula Dronke, Gudrun P. Helgadottir, Gerd Wolfgang Weber, Hans Bekker-Nielsen
- Place, Publisher: Odense: University Press of Southern Denmark
- Year: 1981
- Pages: 56-72
- Reference: Dronke, Ursula. "Sem jarlar forðum. The influence of Rígsþula on two saga-episodes." Speculum Norroenum. Norse studies in memory of Gabriel Turville-Petre, pp. 56-72. Eds. Ursula Dronke, Gudrun P. Helgadottir, Gerd Wolfgang Weber, Hans Bekker-Nielsen. Odense: University Press of Southern Denmark, 1981.
- Key words: motives, intertextuality (minni, textatengsl)
The article deals with source materials in saga composition and use of themes. Dronke focuses on Víga-Glúms saga, Eyrbyggja saga and Bjarnar saga Hítdælakappa, with occasional reference to Egils saga.
Greinin fjallar um heimildir og minni sem höfundar Íslendingasagna hafa nýtt sér. Dronke fjallar einkum um Víga-Glúms sögu, Eyrbyggju, Bjarnar sögu Hítdælakappa og vísar stöku sinnum til Eglu.
Chapter 73: spýju: "The theme of Egill's relation to his god Óðinn, … seems to have directed the writer of Egils saga, or his source, in the choice, or invention, of congruous incidents throughout Egill's life-story … . This Odinic theme developed in association perhaps with another that we may discern, that of the dark clan to which Egill belongs, … . Thematic structuring of this kind may be highly developed in some sagas, less consistently maintained in others, and in others again, perhaps not present at all, in accordance with the skill and insight of those who gave articulation to the traditions at any stage in their transmission." (p. 57).
- Written by: Katelin Parsons
- Icelandic translation: Jón Karl Helgason